Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Our South Dakota / Mt.Rushmore experience

Last week my wife and I went to Mt.Rushmore (since that was the only attraction that we had planned to visit when we were in Minnesota). First as I had mentioned in the previous post we had a drama with the hotel room booking because of Hotwire.com, but no thanks to them still the trip was wonderful.


This was my first country side trip in west. I didn't know the concept of "Deserted Highways", until now. I got a chance to experience it first hand. We started out on Friday, since we didn't have anything planned for the weekend, and decided to dive about 460+ miles from Minnesota. Last 120+ miles were in country road, because of the town I selected, for the hotel I had selected. I got to tell every one, that was the best experience ever!! I really loved it!! For 120 + miles, we barely saw 4 cars ! We saw a deer standing in the middle of the road like that's totally normal :) Eventhough I could see some mail boxes every few miles, I am pretty sure that the houses are atleast a mile from the high way, since I couldn't see them. Then, there was this ominous silence, I don't hear anything, (apart from the sound of my car and the insects cripping). Finally when we reached the motel at around 1:30 am, I was surprised to see that there was a town in the middle of nowhere, just like the movies. 


We started the next morning, after some rest, and we happened to see all the country roads that we had never seen before. We saw lots of hay rolled in to nice circular wheel like structure, cut nicely :). We even took some pictures. While we were taking pictures, a gentleman stopped the car and kindly asked if we were having car trouble.. Wow!! I have never seen such nice people in NY/NJ before! and finally we drove around 230+ miles and reached Mt.Rushmore. It was OK, compared to the ancient architectural marvels in Tamil Nadu and India, that was not that great, but anyway, they had done something creatively. We didn't spend much time there, we decided to start after spending an hour there.


While driving back, there were electrical trouble in the car...I was scared straight. We still had about 500+ miles to go, and the odo-meter and the speed-o-meters kept locking up. Surprisingly, when we removed the snapshot device, that problem went away magically. More on that in a later post [may be.. I am busy these days, so I might not have time :( ]. Finally we reached Minnesota at around 12 am Sunday. Even though I had been in the U.S for about 6 years, I have never seen gangsters before. While I was filling up my car in Minnesota, a car full of tatoo'd gentleman [whom I presume belong to some gang, because of tattoo's.. if you are not, sorry guys!!] pulled up in the pump next to us. That was the first time I saw gangsters, face to face. They didn't speak to me, they were minding their own business. I just got gas and went home at around 2 am.


Overall this was one of the best weekends in our lives! Me and my wife were completely satisfied and felt that we achieved something in this trip. I will try to update as we travel more guys.. See ya all in the next post..

No comments: